Winter Plumbing Dos and Don’ts
When it comes to fixing your winter plumbing problems, let’s stick with the cold hard facts. Check out these winter plumbing dos and don’ts!
Winter Plumbing Don’ts
- Headed on a winter getaway? Don’t think you will save on your utility bill by turning off your heating system. Left out in the cold, your home’s pipes will freeze and burst. Don’t lower your thermostat too far that it could cause your pipes to freeze. Set your thermostat no lower than 55 degrees when you are away.
- Planning to thaw a frozen pipe with an open flame? Don’t! Instead, apply heat gently to the frozen pipe using a hair dryer. Remember to turn off your home’s main shutoff value before you start the thawing process!
- Do holiday dinners have you cooking more than usual? Don’t be tempted to push your garbage disposal to the limit. Never put grease down the garbage disposal. Grease can coat the inside of your pipes and form a large mass that can clog your system.
- Hate cleaning toilets? Don’t rely on toilet tank cleaners that contain bleach. They’re corrosive and can break down your toilet’s components.
- Ignoring a leaking pipe in winter? Don’t think it’ll go away on its own. It’s not a good idea any time, but in winter, the leaky area could freeze and expand, increasing the size of the leak and your problem.
Winter Plumbing Dos
- Turn off and drain your outdoor hoses and spigots to prevent your outside lines from freezing and bursting.
- Consider adding insulation to pipes outside the heated areas of your home, like your attic or garage.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat. It’s more energy-efficient, but you can also set different temperatures while away and at home.
- Inspect your home’s water heater. Hot showers are in high demand in winter. Is your water heater ready for it? Hire an expert to inspect and service your home’s water heater so your cold shower won’t put you in hot water.
- Ensure your sump pump is working properly so it’s ready to handle the winter weather.
Request Plumbing Services From Service Today
Winter weather can be harsh on your home’s plumbing system, especially in Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. Our experts at Service Today are ready to tackle your plumbing challenges, so if you DO have a plumbing emergency this winter, DON’T hesitate to contact us. We’ll make it right…right now!
We are available 24/7 for emergency service.
We go above and beyond to ensure your comfort and safety.